Gear List 2015

Bidons on bidons... I sometimes get asked what gear I like to use, especially during the winter training season. (I tend to forget yea...

Bidons on bidons...


I sometimes get asked what gear I like to use, especially during the winter training season. (I tend to forget year-to-year how to dress for each temperature range, so I have found having a written record can be handy.) I don't have access to extensively test the range of products available for swim-bike-run-winter like Ray over at DC Rainmaker does (for better lists and recommendations, check him out), but due to (mostly) budgetary constraints and availability, this is the gear I've found over time that works best for me. (I'll admit: I shamelessly copied the list styles of Ray's and the Girl's 2015 lists. Forgive me, Ray. Copying is the best a form of flattery?)

Without any further ado...


Actual photo of how I look in the pool

Swim

This section will be short. I took up swimming last year primarily for the unique way I get to spend my recovery days. I know little, and what I do know is self-taught. But I have found it gives me a pretty good upper body workout, gets the blood flowing in my (flailing) lower body, and, with a bit of effort put towards scheduling, I can also enjoy the camaraderie of having my friends swim with me in the pool.

Swimsuit: TYR Diamondfit (any colors/style). I've tried some other brands, but this is the one I come back to again and again and again. I love it. And the suits I bought 2 years ago have only just begun to need replacing due to stretch (but not color fade).

Goggles: TYR Tracer Racing. I have tried Speedo ones over and over and over again, as well as a pair from Sporti. Nothing has ever performed like these bad boys. I've been using this one pair for months now (like, 10 of them!) and I still have had zero issues with them fogging. They stay right in place and they rarely cause the area around my eyes to hurt. They also have phenomenal visibility, especially around the sides.

Swim Cap: Speedo Silicon. Although really, any silicon swim cap will just about do me. I vastly prefer them over the cheaper lycra ones, although I've got a few of those, too.

Paddles: Speedo I.M. Tech Swimming Paddles. These are kinda cool. The fact that they allow you to train all 4 IM swim strokes makes me think that one day I will actually learn all of them and actually put these paddles through the paces. But for now, they allow me to build some strength on my freestyle and backstroke.

Workout Bible: Swim Speed Workouts. It's debatable how much my swim has actually improved. But I'm self-taught at swimming and Shiela's books and her workouts have been a huge help.

Favorite Place to Buy Swimgear: Besides a few books from Amazon, I actually prefer to buy most of my gear from SwimOutlet. Their grab-bags are famous and a great way to get a suit you like for cheap, plus I've found wonderful deals on swim caps, shampoos, conditions, etc. Highly recommend.




Bike

After the hypothermic-inducing experience at last year's Wild Horse Century, I spent some time really investing and bulking up my winter gear selection. Here are all my favorite things, from road bike to TT bike and all the gadgets and gizmos in-between.

Road Bike: Cannondale 2011 Women's CAAD 10 4 Rival (51 cm). We've recently discovered I'd probably be better off with a 48 or 50 cm bike after I finally invested in getting a really good fit. This actually makes sense - when I purchased my TT bike years later, they really wanted to put me on a 48 or 50, but kept it the same size as the road bike since I had already invested so much in my 700c wheelsets. Both bikes have ridiculously shrimpy stems as a result. However, I do absolutely adore this ride. The CAAD zips around great, is as lightweight as a carbon fiber bike, and has truly wonderful handling (makes sense since it was designed for the criterium racer in mind). I have ridden her for 3 years now and still have zero desire to upgrade from this frame (well, unless someone really wanted to buy me an aero road bike... that LivGiant one looks purty nice) Note: Link is to a pdf copy of the 2011 bike archives from Cannondale's website. You have to scroll all the way to page 56 to see miss Rebel without a CAAD.

TT Bike: Cervelop 2013 P2 (51 cm). Man, I love this bike. I feel fast on it. And she handles great. I also love knowing that she performs pretty tops in aerodynamic tests across the board. Would I love a P5? Absolutely. But I know with a few future investments, she can be virtually as aero as a top-of-the-line model. I don't really feel like I'm missing out on anything. I had the boys at the shop swap all the 105 components for SRAM when I bought her, keeping her in-line with the equipment on my CAAD. Swapability, baby.

Cyclocross/Gravel Bike: Trek 2007 (?) X1 (52 cm). I'm not a huge fan of this bike. The main reason being that at 52 cm she's just too big for me. She is much heavier than I would like, and she is also equipped with a Shimano groupset (see next item). Plus, I'm just not a huge fan of Trek bikes in general (sorry). But, I did buy her for cheap off a former teammate, and I am grateful to have her. For the occasional true gravel ride where the road proves to be too soupy to take out my CAAD, I have her to grind around on. Also, she's pretty good for commuting about the town when I want something zippier than my old steel frame. However, if I had the money to buy the 'cross bike of my dreams, I would not hesitate to spend it on a Specialized Crux. I rode one in Adelaide. Wow. I am in love.

Groupset: SRAM. All the way. Anything Rival and above works for me. I've got a bit of a Frankenstein system going on with my CAAD now, as I purchased it Rival, upgraded to Red, and then as components eventually wore down started swapping back in old Rival parts. Things are mostly cross-compatible, which is nice. I love the engineering of the DoubleTap shifters. I absolutely detest the Shimano line because of theirs. I cannot wait to upgrade Fury to your eTap shifters. I will never abandon you, SRAM.

Power Meter: Powertap Pro. I have two of these. Bought them used and sent them to Saris to get each upgraded. Fairly certain the internals are now those of the newer G3 line. One PT is laced to a Mavic OpenPro for training, the other is laced to the rear of my Zipp 404 set. I swap the training and racing wheels between both my road bike and my TT bike, so everything must be compatible and talking to each other all the time.

Race Wheels: Zipp 404s Tubular. I think these are circa-2007? I bought them used. They have served me well and traveled around the world with me, and I'll probably be sticking with them for time to come. My only complaint about them is the hassle it takes to repair a punctured tubular, or to replace the tire when needed. For that reason alone I think I'd prefer to have the 404 in a carbon clincher version. Or maybe some aero race wheels with even an aluminum rim (!), but beggars can't be choosers. I have an aero-disc wheelcover from Wheelbuilder I use to convert the rear 404 into a disc wheel for TTs and duathlons. Note: Link is to the newest version of the 404 from Zipp's website.

Brake Pads: SwissStop. Do yourself a huge favor and invest in decent brake pads for your steed. I use SwissStop for everything: their Original Black for my everyday rides on my aluminum rims (or switch out to BXP if it's really wet) and their Black Prince line on my race wheels (which have better braking action for carbon rims over their Yellow King line, IMO). I only regret that it took me until this year to discover the magic of these things for everyday use. I used to use whatever my bike shop would have for cheap, typically something Shimano. These are much pricier, but oh-so-worth-it!

Saddles: Specialized. Period. Across the board. I use the Specialized Sitero on my TT bike, the Specialized Oura with carbon rails on my road bike, and the Specialized Ruby on my 'cross bike. I've also heard really positive reviews on their latest saddle, the S-Works Power, from friends. The only bike not equipped with a Specialized saddle? My commuter, which has an old, broken in leather Brooks saddle. I have probably personally tested out 10 different saddles over time, and never experienced true bliss until I found this line. Specialized knows their shit. Cooch comfort at its finest.

Pedals: Shimano 105 SPD-SL. What can I say? Keep it basic. I'm not saying other systems aren't better. I am just very, very lazy. And pairing the 105 pedals with the yellow cleats gives my ankles enough play to not cause any knee pain. Don't plan on switching anytime.

Bar Tape: Lizard Skins. The grip-ability and comfort of this particular brand of bar tape is superb. I've got it on both my road bike and my 'cross bike. Comes in 2.5 or 3.2 mm thicknesses and an assortment of colors.

Rear Light: Portland Design Works Radbot 1000. I'll accessorize with other rear blinky-blinks, but as far as permanent features go, this 1W rear light has been serving me well for the past 2 or 3 years now. I have two of them, and they are one of the first things I will purchase for new friends just getting into cycling.

Front Light: NiteRider MiNewt 500. They no longer make this light, and if rumors are correct, this light was notoriously plagued with issues. For the record, I did have to send mine in for servicing, which NiteRider was very gracious about doing. Since then I've had few issues, but all the same, I wouldn't mind upgrading to the newer, less expensive Lumina (see link).

Road Helmet: POC with MIPS. I love this thing. It's taken a while to find a road bike helmet that doesn't hurt my head in any way. I don't know what it is about me - I have a small head and buy the smallest sizes I can find - but most helmets will just move around and feel funny or sit on my head in some way as to cause me a headache. Until now. After my head injury and subsequent concussion, protecting my noggin became a top priority. So I was intrigued when I saw POC's new line of MIPS helmets. From what I can tell on the science of MIPS, the jury is still out, but really, it can't hurt anything. Plus the helmets are super, super light, and, most importantly, comfortable. This bad boy is the simply the most comfortable helmet I have ever worn (and I've tried quite a few). For me, that alone was worth the investment. I know a lot of folks don't like the design or the colors, but I dig the research that was put into ensuring that these helmets really stood out to drivers (I can spy my teammates easily from a mile away), and like I said, comfort.

Aero Helmet: Giro Advantage. A friend gifted me one of these for Christmas a couple years ago and I love it. It's comfortable and works. Couldn't tell you how effective it actually is at aerodynamics on me - for that, I would need access to wind tunnel testing - but until then, this totally works for me. I have the version without the face shield, which allows me to wear my glasses of choice in a race. Speaking of... Note: You can pretty much only find the newer Advantage2 online, so that's what I linked to.

Sunglasses: Catlike D'Lux Micro Sunglasses. Remember how I said I have a small head? Finding good fitting frames has been a challenge because of it. Tifosi's work okay, and they are at a good price point. But when I found this Catlike pair, I put them on and never looked back. They feature good grip, excellent comfort, and have lenses that brighten in low light and dim in bright light. I have even tested a pair of Oakley Half Jacket 2.0s, and still prefer my Catlikes. Plus they match the colors on my POC. Double win for me.

Bike Computer: Garmin Edge 500. I love the simplicity of it. That's not to say I wouldn't totally dig having an 800 or a 1000 instead, but this little guy does what I need it to and is small enough to fit virtually anywhere on any bike. It pairs easily to my powermeters, and ever since I figured out how to put a profile for each one on it, swapping which powermeter it's reading from is even easier than swapping wheelsets. Note: Item is discontinued by manufacturer.

Phone Case: Otterbox Preserver for iPhone 5s. For some reason Otterbox stopped making this waterpoof case for the iPhone soon after I bought it. I have zero idea why. It's absolutely wonderful! I've dropped my phone innumerable times in this case with no damage. I feel like I could throw it across the room and my phone would be unaffected. It's waterproof, meaning you can just stick this bad boy directly in your jersey and not worry about the elements wreacking havoc on your hardware. Best yet, it actually features a waterproof cover for the fingerprint reader that still allows the fingerprints to unlock the phone! I tried a few other cases that purportedly allowed this - they were terrible. With the Preserver, I just re-captured all my fingerprints with the case on and then never had any issues thereafter. The case design actually forces your finger into a certain position over the sensor, which means you pretty much get your fingers read exactly right every time. Unexpected win.

Aero Hydration System: XLab Torpedo 400. I'm a big believer in BTA (between the aerobars) hydration systems, especially in races. But because my shoulders are so narrow, my aerobars are very close together, which limits what I can and can't place between them. Enter the Torpedo system. This baby not only fits between my aerobars (although I have to use zip ties vs the included velcro loops to secure it for the very reason that the velcro loops weren't designed for a gap size so small), but it comes with a mount for your Garmin! This is super important for me because of my limited real estate. With any other system, I would be forced to use a separate Garmin mount and attach it to my aerobars, which begs the question, where the hell do I put it? With this, it is not only included on the unit, but it places the Garmin at the very top of the system, putting it right at eye level. I can't tell you how much I value this design decision. I only wish their bottles were A) insulated, and B) bigger (32 oz, y'all!). Maybe they will hear me...

Bottles 'o Choice: Camelbak Big Chill. These are the best of the best. I hate all other bottles, and I believe I have actually tried them all. You can't beat the design of the mouthpiece. It just works and it never leaks, even when I take these running (I'm looking at you, Polar). The insulation works pretty well, and the big gulp give me a nice, cool, 24 oz. I could always use more; I'm a drinker. But for general rides, 2 of these work really well for me.

Road Shoes: Giro Espada. Yes, these were the first true road bike shoe I ever purchased. I am still using them. Would I like another pair? Absolutely. The new Empires are downright sexy, and Specialized also some incredibly drool-worthy pairs. But these have been workhorses for me and have yet to show any signs of aging. Really. Aside from abundant scuff marking on the top, these are holding up great. Even the insole sticker is still displaying with text as clear as the day I bought them!

MTB Shoes: Giro Sica. Got a season-old pair on steep discount. They work. They fit like my road shoes, only they allow me to swap out the cleats for the 2-hole SPDs or the crank bros, whichever I'm more in the mood for.

Tri Shoes: DHB T1.0. Despite what you may or may not feel about purchasing from Wiggle, their in-house brand of shoes are inexpensive yet serviceable. They work, and I've had no issues thus far. I would prefer a shoe that had a bigger pull-on loop (theirs is smaller than the picture suggests - I have yet to actually be able to use them) and a single strap enclosure that pulled the opposite direction, but you get what you pay for. For an entry level shoe, I couldn't be happier.

Cycling Kits: Castelli. For overall comfort, I always come back to Castelli. They definitely cater to the male population more than to the women (meaning the boys have a much better selection of gear than we do), and getting the correct size of something can sometimes be a total crapshoot, plus, their bibs wear out at the hips and buttocks after only a year (and not just mine and my female teammate, but they did this on a male friend's, too) but the bibs are unbelievably comfortable. The chamois is my favorite, and while the bibs themselves wear down, the chamois is still going strong. I wish their jerseys were maybe a touch longer, but for a short waisted person such as myself, these are pretty okay.

Cycling Gloves: Whatever is laying about. I have varied brands and sizes. I think my favorite are possibly, surprisingly, the cheap Bontrager's I picked up at Schlegel's. I need summer gloves with gel padding in them. I just do.

Triathlon Kits: Usually whatever I have laying around. I've got some random Zoot and 2XU tops and bottoms. I've got some gear from TriOKC. The kits over at Betty Designs are just droolworthy. I mix and match as I please. Lately though, I've been gifted a two new Sugoi kits from Schlegel Bicycles as part of the STOKE team, and I'm really digging them. They are comfortable and they feature sharks! For training, two piece suits are fine, mostly because then I can use bathroom easily and whenever I want. But for racing, I hate them. Bring on the skinsuit! As women, I'd wager most of us have trouble with the two-piece tops always riding ups. That's just the nature of it because of our hips. But the with the one-piece everything stays put. Just the way I like it.

Chamois Cream: Chamois Butt'r Her. I can't stand creams that make you tingle. That should be fucking illegal. But this is thick and pretty nice and does a decent job. I've found the occasional one I like better, but they are harder to get. This is the brand I tend to always have lying around no matter what and I use it pretty much daily.

Winter Cycling Jersey: Castelli Gabba. Yes, the men have a much, much, much bigger selection of Gabba gear than us ladies do. I believe we just get the single piece. But it's good. Wind-resistant, and more importantly, water resistant! Since getting it, I typically layer this over a winter baselayer and I am good to go for almost anything mother nature throws at me.

Winter Cycling Jacket: Giordana Silverline. I'm actually a pretty big fan of Giordana gear, although the chamois in their bibs wear out super fast and I have never replaced them (I can't bring myself to relive the experience of everything "down there" going numb while simultaneously shooting pain in the middle of a race). When it's really cold outside, I pull on this cycling jacket over my winter jersey for an additional boost. It's intensely comfortable and extremely warm. I can wear this thing down into the 20s.

Winter Cycling Bibs: Gore Power 2.0 Thermal BibTights with Chamois. I have always hated layering running tights over summer bibs. It's uncomfortable, and my ass generally freezes anyway. Plus it's hard enough taking a nature break as a woman - winter layers only add to the drama. Enter these Gore Bibtights. I found them because A) I wanted an all-in-one solution that was, above else, warm, and B) these feature a friggin drop-bib! Don't know what that is? That means the back and chamois drop down via two zippers along the upper back that allow you to easily take a pee break. You heard that right. No more removing your jersey and layer after layer after layer! With a couple of quick zips you can pee, then zip up and be on your way again, almost as easily as one of the dudes. I believe Gore was one of the very first bib manufacturers to actually feature this for women (Pearl Izumi was the other). The chamois isn't my favorite, but the rest of features are fantastic. Besides the drop bib, the inside is brushed with soft, insulating material, and the legs have bright reflectors. I will be using this pair for years to come. Unless Castelli comes out with their own version featuring their superior chamois. Then I'll switch.

Long Sleeve Base Layers: Craft Active Extreme. I'm not one of those people who enjoy wearing summer baselayers (my jersey will do me just fine, thankyouverymuch). But in winter these are the best of the best. They are insulating, breathable, and long in the torso and high in the neck to ensure you get full coverage. This plus my winter cycling jersey are usually all I need for most winter temps.

Short Sleeve Base Layer: Gore with Windstopper. I have one piece that an insulating baselayers with short sleeves that I use when it's cool, but not so cold that I need to wear my winter jersey, generally around 55-65 degrees. This one features windstopper material on the front, which makes it loud and crinkly, but it's highly functional. Paired with my normal summer jersey and some arm warmers, I'm usually good for a long ride where it starts cool and gradually warms up a bit.

Winter Cycling Shoes: Northwave Artic [sic] Commuter GTX Boots. For years, I struggled with all manner of layering winter socks and overshoes over my summer cycling shoes. No matter what I did, no matter how many layers I put on, my feet always froze. The terrible, actually-in-pain kind of freezing. My male counterparts always seemed to skirt this issue, but since I sit at room temperature with my feet at freezing temps anyway, I never could conquer the winter months outside until I found these bad boys. Finally, my feet are warm in temps down to 30 degrees. And when it gets that cold (or colder!), I just layer up on the socks I use and keep going because they are designed with extra sock space in mind. The commuter version of these shoes also come in bright neon colors, crucial for the winter months when daylight is nice and short. If I had to choose just one piece that enabled me to finally enjoy riding outdoors in the cold, these would be it. Hands down. I would buy these over and over again.

Fall Cycling Gloves: Whatever is lying around. I've got several long-fingered pairs - some from Castelli, Gore, and Pearl Izumi. They are all about the same. Thin and good for temps down to about 50 degrees.

Winter Cycling Gloves: Pearl Izumi PRO Softshell (Men's). I have the same problems with my hands in winter that I do my feet. While I'm sure most guys would say this is overkill, for me it was downright necessary. Any time the temps dip down past 50 degrees, you better believe I whip these bad boys out. I think they have similar women's versions, too, which would fit me better, but I got these at discount and after the first 10 minutes of riding outside, I am able to figure out how to shift my gears with all the extra material between my fingers (a men's small is still too big for me - I need men's XS gloves and these just don't come in that size). Super soft on the inside and brushed with water protecting material on the outside.

Other Winter Accessories: I have a Pearl Izumi skull cap I adore and have used for years (and it features a ponytail loop, which was handy when I had longer hair). Other than that, I got lots of different brands of arm warmers, leg warmers, and knee warmers that I use interchangeably. Most of them Castelli. Most of them branded with my team colors.




Run

Ahhhh, the sport that began it all for me. Running is the simplest of the three because at its core, you really just need a decent pair of shoes and you're good to go. What shoes are best suited for you can be controversial - just about everybody has a strong opinion on the subject, and almost nobody agrees - but ultimately, I believe that whatever shoe you find that feels good for you is ultimately the right shoe. This past year I've managed to keep my Achilles tendon in check, but it does flare up painfully on occasion, and more often lately than before, so I have begun switching up my shoes between my normal racing flats and a bit cushion-ier trainer. Here's what I like so far.

Racing Shoe: inov-8 Road X-Lite 145s. I've been intensely loyal to the inov-8 brand for years now. They are extremely minimalist, extremely light, and very, very flexible. I love the superb groundfeel I get running in them and appreciate how little show there is to interfere with my stride. I have done countless runs and long distance races in them. They are built well-enough to not wear down easily. Which is good, because inov-8 no longer makes road shoes (this is the worst news ever!). I spent this past year scouring ebay and Amazon to pick up any leftovers of my favorite inov-8 styles, but I know eventually, probably next year, I will have to find another brand of shoe in a similar style that I like just as much. Just when you think the search is over...

Racing Laces: Xtenex. These are amazing, and not just because they are my favorite quick lace system, either. Their ingenious design allows the pressure of the laces to be spread equally across the entire foot. They are endlessly customize-able, allowing you to control the fit as much as you'd like. Plus, the give me the fastest entry/exit into my shoes - bar none. They stretch to allow you to insert your foot then immediately re-compress back down to your desired fit. No having to cinch down on the laces or anything. Saves valuable seconds. I hesitate to even give this secret away. But I think the company deserves a bit of visibility. I genuinely want to put these on every laced shoe I own.

Training Shoe: New Balance 1400v2. What, you were expecting a Hoka? This is a large step up in shoe for me, as the 1400 features a full 10mm drop. They were hard for me to get used to at first, especially running downhill when I tend to slap right on the midfoot - with each step I could feel the additional heel strike down with me, and it was weird! But I have gotten used to them. Moreover, I actually really, really like them. They are lightweight, almost as light as my inov-8s (though not nearly as flexible), and make good shoes for quick tempo runs as well as longer distances. The footbed feels familiar and good, probably because I'm so used to the construction of New Balance trail shoes. Note: The v2 is already passe, so I linked to the v3. You should check RunBlogger to see if much has changed in this iteration.

Trail Shoe: New Balance Minimus Trail 20v1. Even off-road, I tend minimalist here. I have tried other trail shoes with more (a lot more) shoe, and I hated them. I love the excellent groundfeel these NBs offer. I love how light they are. I love how they pick up quickly and move with me. Yes, occasionally I strike a rock juuust right to make me feel a bit of pain in my foot. But it's always short and sweet, and then I move right on. I just can't get around on a trail as well with any other shoe. Note: They don't make these anymore, so I linked to the only similar one I could find at RunningWarehouse.

Place to Read About Shoes: RunBlogger. You may have already noticed I mentioned Pete Larson's website, but I use it so often that I thought it warranted mentioning. He puts extroardinary work into his shoe evaluations. If you know what kind of shoe you like, this website will help you find others that meet your criteria. And he's very quick to answer questions. Do him a favor and purchase your shoes through his RunningWarehouse link.

Running Watch: Garmin Forerunner 305. My brother gifted this to me back in the days when this was new. It was designed with the triathlete in mind, and I still use it for running and racing, both. It doesn't pair with my powermeter, but I've got my Edge on the bike for that. It does tell me the paces I'm running, and my distances, which is just about all I usually need. I like to do some HR training occasionally, but unfortunately it no longer seems to read my heart rate strap and Garmin says it's so old that they won't do anything about it. Except offer to sell me a new strap. I would really like to upgrade to the new 920XT in red, hint hint hint...

Sports Bra: Champion T-Back. More than either of the other two sports, the type of bra you wear here matters. Fortunately, I solved that problem years ago! All I wear for all my outdoor activities are these Champion bras. I own them in so many colors. And they do not break down easily! I still have two pair that are probably 4 or 5 years old now. Aside from some color fading, they work just as well as all of the new pairs I own. Bonus is their inexpensive price point, which looks even better when you consider the longevity these have.

Phone Armband: Gear Beast for iPhone with Otterbox. I hesitate to even put this on here - all you really need to do is search for a case that is compatible with your phone. I rarely ever carry my phone around with me on runs - it's usually only deep into the training season when I need an extra boost of motivation that I'll use it to listen to music (or more often, podcasts). But since I have an Otterbox Preserver case on my 5s I had to search for an armband with the extra space needed to accommodate it. This is what I found. Simple and serviceable.

Headphones: BlueAnt Pump HD Sportbuds. When I do listen to audio on my runs, I have found that I just can't stand wired earbuds. Even if I wind them up under my shirt/jacket, there is always still tugging on the wires that eventually leads to the earbuds shifting or falling out from my ears. Enter Bluetooth - technology's answer to my dilemma. I found these earbuds on Amazon and picked them over several other kinds because they seemed a good mix of sound quality and features vs price. After using them for a year, I have found that the standard ear pieces (not the smaller size, even though I almost always need the smaller size) plus the extra motion control pieces plus the band tie yield a superb fit and zero bounce no matter how hard a run I'm doing, meaning that I can crank up the tunes on an early morning track session and have zero problems the entire run. There is no cord to get in my way, and the earbuds stay put firmly in my ears. The sound is pretty good and the earbud covers block out a lot of external noise (I would not recommend using these on the bike ever - they just block out too much noise to be safe). Plus the headpieces come with features that allow you to quickly adjust the volume or move through tracks forward and back without ever having to refer back to your phone. And they are waterproof. I guess if you wanted to use them in the pool you could, but this just means I can choose to use them on a rainy run and not have to worry about anything. They also have good battery life and charge easily via a USB cable. Still extremely happy with this purchase.

Anti-Chafe Cream: Blue Steel Sports. A friend recommended this to me years ago, and I have yet to find a product that is performs better (I'm laughing at you, Body Glide). This stuff is simply amazing. It goes on so small and thin you think it's not going to work, but then you never even get the tiniest amount of rubbing for the full 30 miles you're out running. This stuff has longevity and consistency! Plus, in all the years I've been using it, I am only on my second tube of the stuff. You need so little of it that it lasts for fucking ever. In contention for my favorite running product ever.

Shirts/Shorts: R-Gear by RoadRunnerSports. I am grouping my favorite shirts and shorts into one category. Why? Because the in-house brand RoadRunnerSports is fantastic. My absolute favorite shirt/short combo was purchased from them 4 or 5 years ago, and I still use them weekly. You can't even tell they're anything other than new! They seriously manufacture good shit. I cannot recommend them enough, and I would suggest purchasing several tanks for yoga/pilates/gym here, too. They make really cute styles.

Running Knickers: Champion. When the temp drops, I tend to still stay in my shorts and layer up with a running pullover. But when it really starts to dip, think mid 30s to low 40s, I will pull these knickers on instead. They are fantastic, and like most of the rest of my running collection, have lasted me more years than I am willing to admit. They actually see more use in the gym or at yoga than do on the run, which is phenomenal considering I've pretty much just got the one pair.

Running Tights: Saucony. Okay, these are so old I don't even remember what style they are, I just know they are Saucony and they feature zip-ups from the cuff to above my ankle (for getting on those long, warm socks) as well as reflectors and piping all along the legs. I think I got them on the cheap at some store in Tulsa. They're okay, but as you probably guessed I very rarely ever wear them. Unlike my feet and hands, my legs aren't that bothered by the cold. I will pull these on when the temp really drops into the 20-30s range or below, or when I'm running through the snow. That's about it. I've probably only used them a few dozen times in all the years I've owned them.

Winter Top: R-Gear On the Run Hoodie. My sister bought me a bright pink one years ago. Unless it gets really cold, this is the only thing I layer over my normal running tank or shirt in the 40-60 degree temperature range. Like all their gear, it's phenomenal and will last for virtually ever. My old version features two zip pockets in the front which I still use to stash things, including my phone.

Deep Winter Top: Basically whatever else I can find laying around. When the mercury falls below the 40 degree mark, I will grab any other sports jacket I can find and throw it on. I've got some Champion zip-ups and one Lululemon garment which normally get tossed into the rotation, although I've been known to even dig into my cycling gear and throw on my cycling winter jersey or jacket, too.

Gloves: Here again, I'm pretty lazy. I'd like a decent pair of running gloves, full of reflectors and a nice, soft snot screen, but I really just use my long fingered cycling gloves for this. Like I said, lazy.

Head warmer: Again, it has to get pretty cold before I'll pull anything over my head, but when I do it's always this reversible Adidas beanie I've had for years. They're pretty cheap and easily found on Amazon, but I suggest you just use whatever you like.


My package from The Feed

Nutrition

Everybody always asks about nutrition. What can I say? You gotta just play around and figure out what works best for you. I've been pretty happy with the products I have listed below for well over a year now. But it's always evolving. As your body changes so do your preferences for tastes and amounts. Maybe give some of these a shot and tell me what you think.

Food On-the-Run: Gu Energy Gels. I can run 15 miles without needing to eat anything (well, as long as my daily nutrition has been good). But for years this has been my go-to food source when I'm huffing out those long miles on foot. My favorite flavor has and always will be the Andie's Mints of flavors: Chocolate Mint. But Gu has stepped up their game and now features such flavors as Chocolate Outrage, Espresso Love, Salted Caramel, and Chocolate Peanut Butter. I will miss you, liquid Andie's Mints, but these other flavors aren't bad.

Food On-the-Bike
  • Go Short: Bananas. Ask anyone. These are my favorite thing. There's something about the simplicity and natural nutrition of them I like. If I'm headed out for a 50-60 mile ride, I'll usually shove one of these in my pocket in case I need anything.
  • Go Long: HoneyStinger Waffles. If I'm riding a bit longer that morning, say 70-80 miles, I'll pair my banana with one of these. My favorite flavors are Chocolate, then Lemon, then Strawberry, in that order. Vanilla can get out of the house.
  • Go Very Long: Feed Zone Rice Cakes. Anything over 80 miles and I've got several of these homemade goodies stocked in my freezer, ready to shove in a jersey pocket for just such an occasion. I have never decided if I prefer the savory or sweet variety, so I have some of both. Usually, at about the point you would need these in a ride, they have thawed out enough for proper consumption. They are easy on the gut and are a tasty treat when long miles still loom ahead of you.
  • Race Day: Pro Bar Bolt. Let's face it. I'm lazy. And I don't care what you think. Expect to find these plastered all over my bike (even my road bike) for those long race days. I look forward to it. These are tasty.
Protein Powder: Osmo Women's White Mocha. I love this stuff after a really hard workout, and it mixes especially well into foods such as oatmeal or a smoothie. I'll even bump up the mocha flavor with an extra shot of coffee. Their Honey and Spice flavor doesn't really do it for me, but I've been stocking up on this by the truckload.

Hydration
  • Go Short: Nuun Active. I can't stand plain water during a workout. I mean, I'll use plain water on occasion (generally at the pool or in the gym), but otherwise I need something. These fit the bill for low-intensity/short training rides or runs. Zero calorie and loaded with salts and flavor. Get the 4-pack of original tabs on Amazon.
  • Go Long: Osmo Hydration. When I actually need to focus on having proper hydration during intense or long training sessions, or races, I will always go to my Osmo. Full disclosure: they sponsor me, as part of the Tulsa Wheelmen Women's Team. But I was using their product even before then. I like the research that Dr. Sims has put into her products. She was part of the team that first created Skratch Labs drinks, and since going it on her own she has further refined and developed the formulas that made Skratch so popular in the first place. She even has a line solely focused on women's needs - nobody does that! I like the taste of the products and I like how I perform when I use them. Even when I'm not in heavy training, I still use the protein powder almost daily in my oatmeal. I would highly encourage you to check them out. The flavors of the drink mixes are very, very mild (as mild as Nuun is strong). They have some calories in them. Stacey says this is necessary for proper osmality and absorption of water and recommends you eat in addition to the beverage; however, I find that at 100 Cal/bottle they can make handy substitutes for fuel on brick days and races.
I Got the Munchies: I eat other various sports food products, notably those from ProBar. I just really have liked everything I've tried from them. It is also very common to find various Clif Bars stashed around my car. Half of one of those and my hunger is staved for at least an hour.

Alright. I hope that helps. Remember, I'm no pro. These are just the things I like and I use day in and day out. Your experiences can and will differ. But if you have questions or comments, you know how to reach me.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Flickr Images